Thursday, December 11, 2014

Touching Dreams

As a young child I was certain that I was going to be a professional athlete when I grew up. I just knew it. It was a fact.

It was a fact because it was my dream...

I remember my Mother asking me "Sion, what do you want to do when you grow up?"

Without hesitation, I would blurt out "I am going to play for the Phillies!"

"Okay, what else would you like to do...?" She would ask. 

Growing up in Corrales, New Mexico, I had the childhood most kids would envy. A caring family. A beautiful place to live and everything I wanted. But early on I felt lost. The lack of belonging I suffered was so confusing. I can still feel that emptiness while I reminisce.

Things didn't go exactly as I had imagined. I guess making life long plans at the age of seven doesn't always pan out. 

I eventually lost my desire to play baseball and sometime after that, I lost all motivation. I drifted through high school with no drive and no direction. It wasn't all bad, there were some good times. But truth is, I was beginning to spiral down a dangerous road. 

After high school my life grew increasingly more grim. I was lost. I did the only thing I was good at, I inebriated myself. Years went by as my days bled together. I lied to those around me and stole from the ones trying to help. I would look at myself in the mirror with disgust. 

I eventually left my life in New Mexico behind. I ended up in Tucson, Arizona. I was still determined to continue living life on my terms. And the life I lived continued to deal me a bad hand.

I vaguely remember sitting in front of an auto parts store panhandling money;

"What happened to you, Sion?" I asked myself.. "Why did you do this?"

I had bottomed out, so a grabbed a shovel and continued to dig. At some point I had a moment of clarity and hit pay dirt.

I recall sitting in a room full of people and feeling more alone than ever before. I sat there in a daze, dreaming of a better life. A life to be proud of.

"This isn't the life for me.." I remember thinking. "Get out of here."

And so I left. I left in search of a better life. 

With the continued support of my family, I eventually began to rebuild my life. And somewhere along the way, I began to run. 

First it was a half marathon with my sister, Ariana. Then it was a road races and marathons. I couldn't get enough. This led to trail running and ultras. To mountains and vistas. 

I raced as much as I could. I found peace of mind. I ate. I slept. I laughed. I cried. 

I ran until I collapsed. 

A void had been filled. I had discovered my secret to life and I was in love.

Running had saved me and subsequently, trail running defined me. 

2014 has been by far, the best year of racing I've had. I experienced just about everything imaginable in terms of weather. From blistering heat to blizzards and everything in between. I have grown quite a bit as a runner over the last year and I have worked harder than ever before.

The work has brought me one step closer to that dream I had as a young child. While ultra running will never pay my bills, it has given me purpose and a sense of belonging. It has allowed me to become the athlete I dreamt about before those dark days.

Being chosen to be a member of the Aravaipa Racing Team has proven once again that with some grit and some determination, even the most lost can find a new road. With one foot in front of the other, I have run far away from my past and into a world of beauty and peace.

Aravaipa Running has become one of the premier race organizations in the nation, putting Arizona on the map as a prime destination for those looking to participate in quality events. I can't adequately express the gratitude I have. The excitement is palpable.

I want to personally thank Aravaipa Running founders, Jamil and Nick Coury for giving me the opportunity to represent such a first class running company and family.



                                 Follow your passion, be prepared to work hard and
                                 sacrifice, and, above all, don't let anyone limit you dreams.
                                                         
                                                                               ~ Donovan Bailey



                                       


Team Aravaipa 2015  


4 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Sion. Keep working hard and dreaming big!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Sion! And thank you for sharing your story. Be assured that it will reap good consequences for someone out there who needs to hear your words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys! I find that as long as am honest with myself about my past, than chances are, I won't repeat it. I use the pain I endured as means of motivation. I can only hope my words are there to help those still suffering in their addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I found your blog after you left our house. ( I'm Wilda's daughter). Excellent! I will enjoy reading about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete