Monday, June 3, 2013

Element Control

Running is my equilibrium. I feel balanced when I can run.

I am fully aware of my surroundings as I jump off a jagged rock and land smoothly on the sandy surface of Earth. Without a moments hesitation I am flying down a steep descent. I am literally flying. I am flying and I'm feeling the freedom I have craved for weeks. 

I stop and look at the beautiful challenge nature offers me. I lay on the ground and I begin to laugh and tears begin streaming down my sun-kissed face. I let it out. I am at peace. I get up and laugh a bit at how dramatic I can be. I really do love to run and I just can't imagine my life without it. 

As I make my way back home I am filled with confidence. I know I am back. Running sort of ties all my loose ends together. A bad day at work is quickly erased by a long run. Frustration, worry, stress and sadness roll off me. I'm blessed to have found my secret to life. 

A few years ago I was taken on my first trail run, the infamous "Phoneline Loop" located in the Catalina Mountains. I was immediately hooked on the beauty that trail running offers. Phoneline Trail has a moderate ascent for the first 2 and a half miles, then gradually flattens out into some of the most spectacular single track trail my young legs have ever had the pleasure of running. Many sections of the trail are on sheer cliff, this just adds to the enticement. I've had the pleasure of running with a deer literally bounding those cliffs aside me. 

The next trail run that effectuated my desire for more is ironically related to the first. It is Phoneline's big brother, Bear Canyon Loop. Bear Canyon is also located in the Catalina Mountains, just northeast of Sabino Canyon. Bear Canyon Loop has it all; Steep switchbacks, beautiful waterfalls (when there is water, obviously), soft sand, gnarly rocks and breathtaking views fit for a postcard. Both Phoneline Loop and Bear Canyon Loop finish up via the Tram Road. Nothing like hammering out 4 miles of downhill pavement after giving your legs an honest trail beat down. 

The day before I suffered my foot injury I ran a casual Phoneline Loop that resulted in my second fastest time ever. To put it simply, I was feeling superb. I can't explain the high I get from running really well. I was frickin' bullet proof. Life was good. Then, BAM! No more running. 

The loneliness of a running mind deprived of running is a dark place. Good Lord, I love drama. I always have the most motivation to go run, when I can't. Go figure. So I kept looking at my Catalina Mountains, day dreaming of those trails I've come to love, to rely on. It was very depressing, albeit immensely motivating. Alas, I had my mission plans.

This weekend was full of honest appreciation as I returned to my element and regained control. I took on both Phoneline and Bear Canyon, leaving tears of freedom in my wake. A fire was lit inside of me, I now prepare for the next phase of my training. I have a brand new outlook on running and training, living and breathing. I am not bullet proof. I am not made of stone, nor that of glass. I am enamored in this ultra life that I have taken hold of. This is only the beginning.


Phoneline Trail
Back on top of Bear Canyon











4 comments:

  1. Really nice, Sion ! - Keep it up, endurance is your strength. You are getting more at ease with the writing, good to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. better see you burst into some of these high profile races for the win buddy-O!

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. run blackets for me, i miss that trail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just ran Blacketts for you! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete