Monday, July 1, 2013

Armpit Police

Well, it is official. The return to running from an injury "honeymoon" phase has ended. It was wonderful while it lasted. I was convinced that I would never have to force myself to go run again, that I would be so grateful and appreciative that I can run, I would have all the motivation I could handle. Sadly, no. It has fizzled out and now I'm back to "I don't feel like running today" or "I'll just rest today, it's too hot" etc. And so on and so forth. And what have you.

It's not everyday that I have  to "force" myself to get out and run, but at least a couple times a week that is the case. On my drive home from work the other day, I told myself at least a dozen times that I was too tired to run and that I should take the day off. I got home and preceded to tell Kristi all the things I had been telling myself. "I'm too tired, I'm not gonna run today." I looked to her for a response, only to be met with a blank stare. Kristi has learned to ignore my self doubt, as her response has never swayed my decision one way or another. She knows better. "I'm just not feeling it today," I tell her as I pull out my running shoes. 

Eventually, I put on a pair of running shorts and depart. I managed one of my fastest runs in a long time. My last mile was 6 flat. I got home and started spitting out all my splits to Kristi, "the first mile was 7:15 then 6:50 then..." was she even listening? ".... and my last last mile was 6 flat!" I shouted, ending the explanation of my daily statistics. I must be a world of entertainment to live with. 

I want to be the best. I want to win races. I want to come in first place and stand on the podium. This is what I strive for and these are my dreams. And I love it. I want to work harder than I've ever worked in my entire life to achieve my goals. I will not settle. 

There is nothing in my life that is as powerful as running. It has molded me physically, emotionally and spiritually. I have learned to love myself because of running and as a result, I have learned to love others. This may sound too dramatic for some people to comprehend, but these are facts. 

One facet of my life that has been reconstructed from the pile of rubble I created is the relationship that I have with my family. For so many years I took for granted the family I was blessed to be part of. Sometimes I feel like I'm living 2 completely different lives, in one lifetime. There are parts of my past that I have trouble believing actually happened. At times when I reflect I think, "did that really happen, or was it just a dream?" 

A few months ago my sister, Ariana said she was going to come visit me during the Summer. I thought, "visit me in Tucson, during the Summer? Who does that?" Most people run away from this incinerator during the Summertime. 

Staying true to her word, my sister came out with her two boys and visited me. Here. In the Old Pueblo. In the days leading up to her visit I was struck with fear. A fear of what to do. "What can we go do?" I thought, "these boys live next door to the almighty Disney World, what do I have to offer?" I hadn't seen my sister (or my nephews) in over 2 years. Needless to say, I was very excited. 

As soon as Ariana and the boys, Noah and Toby arrived, the fear of finding stuff to do, disappeared. It was so great to see my nephews and my wonderful sister. We sat in my living room and caught up. Kristi suggested that we go drive up to Mount Lemmon and ride on the ski-lifts to the very top. We all agreed that was a perfect idea. Thank God for Kristi, the only idea I had come up with was 'Sonoran Hotdogs'.. 

The following day we went and picked up Hannah, Kristi's brilliantly awesome daughter and all of us headed up to the magnificent Mount Lemmon. Everyone was excited to get on the ski-lifts, except for Mr. Toby. Ariana decided to stay with Toby and the rest of us prepared for departure. Noah and I shared a lift and had a nice conversation. It was great to spend time with him, he is such a kind soul. As we neared the top I received a text from Ariana, "We are on the way up" she wrote. I later found out that she had bribed Toby with fudge. Well done, Ariana. Well done indeed.

We all spent some time together on top of Mount Lemmon. We enjoyed the beautiful views and the cool air. We took pictures, we laughed and teased each other. I love my family. Toby requested to ride with his Uncle Sheddy (nickname courtesy of Toby) on the way down. On our way down Toby turned and looked me in the eyes and said "it's so peaceful up here." I just love that kid.

That evening, after indulging on some outrageously delicious Sonoran Dogs, we all went swimming. As I was swimming around It became quite apparent that Toby is fascinated by armpit hair. "You have armpit hair!" He shouted, giggling like a maniac. Noah chimed in, "he's obsessed with armpit hair." I turned and looked to Toby for his rebuttal, "I'm the armpit police!" he exclaimed. There is never a dull moment when that boy is around.

The following day they had to leave. We only had one full day together and we made the best of it. Kristi, Hannah and I walked the three of them to their car to say our good byes. As the car was pulling away we heard a little voice screaming, "bye Hannah, bye Hannah!"  We all waived goodbye and the car disappeared into the distance. I was overcome with emotion. I went to my bedroom and cried. I am so grateful for my life and my family.

A few hours after they departed, I went on a run. As I was running, I reminisced. I think the most important part of running for me, is the time it gives me to think, to appreciate. I am very appreciative that my sister, who was visiting my parents in NM, drove hundreds of miles to visit me and see my world. I have a pretty cool life today and want to share it. Thank you all for spending time with me and my family and getting a glimpse of my world. You are welcome to come back anytime!

The temperature was well into the triple digits as I zigzagged my way up Esperero Trail. I thought about the life that could've been. My legs pushed harder up the simmering rock face. I recall having nothing except the clothes on my back. I am overwhelmed with heat, I am sick to my stomach. I remember having no direction. I only push harder. I am alive. I reached a point that I felt fit to make my turnaround. I took a seat a shed a few more tears for my second chance at life. I am truly blessed. I powered through the remainder of my run, fueled by immeasurable appreciation. This is all the motivation I need.


Noah Livin' The High Life


Toby and Uncle Sheddy



The Whole Crew


Artwork By Noah Strong




No comments:

Post a Comment