Monday, July 15, 2013

Sky Island Serenity

"Where have you been all my life?!" I shrieked as I came flying down Aspen Trail. I can see all of Tucson from the edge of the trail, one false move and I will be on my way there. It's absolutely beautiful up here.

My entire body is flanked with shade as the trees form an almost perfect arch around the single track trail. I feel a grin spread across the length of my face, because I am exactly where I want to be. I am home. I am glad I made it to the last TTR run of the season, I now know where I will be spending a good part of my summer. Here, in Sky Island. 

The air is full of moisture, I almost taste the shrubbery surrounding me. A flock of purple butterflies dance in the air to the beat of nature. The beauty surrounding me almost distracts me from the challenge that Marshall Gulch Trail is throwing at me. It's a constant climb, the rocks attempt to twist my ankles, I refocus my footing and breath in the fresh air. Tastes like pine trees. 

I really like it up here. It makes me realize just how much of the Catalina Mountains are still foreign to me. I want to explore this entire mountain range, I am ready to expand the plethora. I feel like I'm being drawn to the mountains, like they are calling my name. When I drive around I am constantly looking at all of the mountains surrounding southern Arizona. I daydream of running all of the trails and hitting all of the summits. I am certain that I have found my calling.

Once I top out on Marshall Gulch Trail, I hang a right onto Aspen Trail and begin the ascent. This is my second Marshall/Aspen loop of the morning and I am sucking air. These trails are deceivingly difficult. After the relentless climb over the first segment I reach my favorite section of all. I stop to catch my breath as I look over the edge of the cliff. "It's go time!" I shout as I begin flying down the single track trail that hugs the edge of the cliff. I look to my right for just a second, I can see for thousands of miles. I feel like a caged animal just released into the wild. 

After finishing up my descent into Marshall Gulch I sat down to absorb all of the beauty. "I am one blessed individual" I think to myself, "all of this could've been missed." Remembering how fortunate I am is not always easy to do. I want more. I want more money and more stuff. More things that I don't need. I want. But when I am alone, in my element, I can finally appreciate what I have. I am here and I have everything I need. Right here, right now. I am at peace. 

I depart and make my way to Sunset Trail. The next mile and a half is nothing but climbing. "For God sakes, I've been climbing all damn day" I complain to myself, "and I freakin' love it.." I finally reach the end of the trail, I look at my Garmin; 11 miles in 2 hours and 13 minutes. "Those must've been some tough miles.." I say, under my breath. Awesome. 

On my drive back down Catalina Highway I was witness to the fresh aftermath of a severe motorcycle accident. Traffic was at a standstill as we watched paramedics load up the victim into the ambulance. I had just finished spending my morning in paradise doing what I love and I am now watching a body being carted away. My heart swelled up with sadness, again I am forced to appreciate my life. Life is serene. What a day. What a day on that big hill in my backyard.




Aspen Delight


Skyrunning




3 comments:

  1. Beautiful images you will carry in your mind forever and feel in your body - I love that you feel at home. It's all about gratitude, truly seeing the forest - and the trees - from a higher perspective. You belong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, chickenlil :) I have been blessed to end up here. A world of pain brought to a place of peace. I love you very much and I am so fortunate that you (both) helped me find myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your writing is great. I could almost taste the trees!
    2 days ago I did a 3 hour run up Mt. Ashland and back and once I got up high it reminded me of aspen and lemmon trail. (It was hot too, like 90's)
    Anyways, I loved sky Island.

    Happy trails!

    ReplyDelete