Wednesday, July 31, 2013

oƃıʇɹǝʌ

I love to run. I love to run far. So making the decision to run my first 100 mile race was not very difficult. However, the work I must put in to accomplish the feat will definitely be a challenge. I understand there will be immense pain involved in both the training leading up to the Javelina Jundred, as well as during the race itself. But hey, that's what running is all about!

Araviapa Running puts on a series of night races in the desert trails on the outskirts of Phoenix. I felt like I should definitely partake in at least one of them to help me get an idea of what I will encounter during Javelina. JJ100 is a 15.5 mile course that you run multiple times. The idea of running in a bunch of loops seems a bit boring to me, so I know I must train myself to handle this both physically and mentally.

After reviewing the race schedule I decided to run "Vertigo". The course for Vertigo is a 6.5 mile loop in the White Tank Mountain Park outside of Phoenix. I decided to register for the 63k, which would be 6 loops totaling 39 miles. I figured this would help me to get used to doing loops and give me a taste of running in the dark, both of which I will face at Javelina. 

A friend of mine, Michael Walker expressed interest in going out there with me to run the 31k, even offered to drive us (details to follow). So all was set, I was ready to tackle a new challenge. Of course once everything was planned I began thinking too much. I like to do that, keeps me entertained. "I haven't run more than 21 miles since Crown King" I kept telling myself, "maybe I should've just registered for the 31k.." I really like to torture myself (details to follow).

So race day came and on a smoldering July afternoon Mike and I headed off to go race Vertigo. After stopping at Safeway to grab a snack we arrived at the White Tanks eager and excited to do what, for reasons unknown, we both seem to love. We got there a good 2 hours early, we ate, we chatted, we complained about the swarm of flying bugs and the blistering heat. But needless to say, we were both pretty pumped up about the race.

As we sat watching the seconds tick by we got to chatting it up with a fellow racer. He seemed to know a lot about the course, even though he had never been there before. "Yeah, it's pretty flat" he explained, "I looked at the course profile and there is maybe a few hundred feet of gain through the entire loop." I envisioned flat, soft trails blanketed with shade... "Flat. I can handle flat. All. Damn. Day." I thought to myself. 

Finally Nick announced that it was time for the 63k runners to line up. I immediately recognized a youngster standing in the front. If you are obsessed with Ultrasignup as much as me, you get to know people that you don't even know. You know. Cristian Rios was the winner of both of the previous night races, putting up some very solid times. I figured he would probably be my toughest competition, not that you really ever know. You know. After wishing Mike luck in his race, which started 30 minutes after the 63k, I lined up with about 20 other runners.

All systems go

 We all counted down from 10, the clock struck 7 o'clock and like the mind of most ultrarunners, we were off! I sort of assumed Cristian would jump out in front, but damn, this kid didn't waste any time. We ran side by side for the first half mile or so, I looked at my Garmin, we were running 6:30 pace. "Oh hell no" I told myself, "slow it down, you have 39 miles to go for God sakes." So, I let up on the gas and that would be the last I saw of young Cristian. 

As I eased out of that initial, oh so wonderful 'start of the race' adrenaline rush, I realized 2 things; 1. I felt like garbage. 2. That guy lied to me.

I really didn't believe.. just couldn't believe Jamil would produce a "flat" course. I was already out of breath, felt downright exhausted. This desert trail went up and down. In and out of washes. My stomach felt uneasy. I was like a robot low on batteries. I felt like shit. I looked in the distance, behind me, I saw no one. I looked at my Garmin; 1.7 miles. 

"How could this be?" I thought to myself. I was gasping for air. The first substantial climb around 2.5 miles forced me to begin hiking. I was confused. I began to daydream of not running. My attitude began to deteriorate. 

For the first time of the evening, I rolled into the North Ridge Aid Station. The idea of eating seemed out of the question. I wanted ice water and I wanted it now. I remember feeling irritated because it took a long time to fill my bottle with ice. I drank a tiny cup of Coke. I nibbled on a scrap of ginger. I forced myself into eating a miniature bean tortilla wrap. That would be the last bit of food I would eat that evening.

I began dry heaving as I trotted out of the North Ridge AS. I felt terrible. Just terrible. I tasted vomit in my mouth. For the first time of the night, I felt like dropping. I daydreamed of how I would explain it. "Just not my day" I would elucidate, "first DNF. It was bound to happen.." I was deflated.

The noise of Araviapa's ultracity became apparent. I got a little spirit and sprinted through the line for the first time of the evening! I demanded more ice water and once again was aggravated that this process was taking so long. I nibbled some ginger, grabbed my handheld and took off. 

Finishing loop numero uno

I ran out of there with a smidgen of excitement pushing me. But as soon as I began my second loop I was again harassed with self doubt. My mind kept telling myself to drop. I felt so weak and nauseous, didn't want to run anymore, wished I was home in bed. I was sure my single handheld would be sufficient but I was drinking lots of water. Too much water. I kept trying to conserve it, forcing myself to deal with a dry mouth. I was suffering. As I approached the North Ridge AS I took the last gulp of water, savoring every drop. 

After once again feeling inpatient as they filled my handheld with ice water, I departed the North Ridge AS for the second time. I immediately guzzled all of my water, my mouth was bone dry. "This is lame" I said aloud, "I think I'm just gonna do one more loop and call it quits. Shoulda just ran the 31k." Once again the sound coming from ultracity gave me a little energy and I sprinted through the line for the second time of the evening. 

Dazed and abused

I did my usual at the AS. I demanded ice water, nibble ginger, avoided any real food and set off. For how crappy I felt, I did notice that I had been surprisingly efficient at getting out of the aid stations. 

My third loop was a lot like the previous two. I constantly told myself I was going to drop, that this would be my last loop. "Maybe one more" I thought, "maybe". I shuffled into the North Ridge AS for a third time, as bitter as ever. I did my best to get my handheld filled up as fast as possible. There was a girl sitting on the cooler filled with ice. "Get the hell off" thinking to myself, "this is a damn race, ya know.." But as I looked over the situation, it was clear that this girl was hurt. She moved off the cooler and a kind gentleman filled my bottle. The girls face was black and blue, she had taken a serious fall. I later was told she had to have one of her eyes sewed shut. I wish her well.

At this point in the race I began passing a lot of the 31k runners. I was hoping to run into Mike, I would tell him I was going to drop. He would understand. Less than a mile from the start/finish I saw my man, Mike! "What up, bro?" I said as I ran up behind him. "Hey man"  He replied, "you're in 2nd place! That first guy is like 40 minutes ahead.." 40 minutes ahead. Really. "I know. Dudes quick" I quipped. "I don't think I'm gonna make it, feel like crap. I've never dropped a race before but I think I'm gonna quit.." I whimpered. "Yeah, I feel like crap too. Just slow it down a little. You'll be fine" he encouraged me. I thought, "this isn't how the convo was supposed to go? He was supposed to sympathize with me and allow me to quit, dammit!" 

We said a few word to each other at the AS and I set off on my 4th loop. As I ran off I heard him say, "just take it easy, ya know". His words echoed in my head that whole loop. I did take it easy, even enjoyed parts of it. I started thinking that maybe I could finish this race. "When I finish this 4th loop, I will be on my 5th loop and once I finish my 5th loop, I will be on my last loop. Genius!" 

After departing the North Ridge AS for the 4th time, I began to enjoy running again. There were bursts of lightning behind some clouds in the far distance. Nature was showing me its beauty once more. I thought about my life, my wonderful girlfriend, my family, my past, my future. "This is what separates the men from the boys" I said aloud as I made my way into the AS, wrapping up my 4th loop. I grabbed a Red Bull I had stashed and took a long swig. Oh yeah! 

Finishing up loop 4-feeling like death

My 5th loop was nothing short of spectacular. I was full of energy and positivity. I encourage every runner I passed, "good job" and "keep it up!" I shouted. I was running everything. The ups, the downs, the rocks, the mounds. I even had patience when it came to getting my handheld filled at the AS. I was still avoiding food but felt that at this point, I would be fine. I had popped plenty of S-Caps and my nausea had subsided. 

I was able to run nearly every step of the 5th loop. I shot through the line, leaving only one more little, tiny, easy loop left to conquer. Easy, right? 

The moment I finished number 5, I heard Mike screaming "dude, first place just left 5 minutes ago, you can catch him!" I was astounded! I had made up at least a half hour and now I knew I could catch the leader. I was overwhelmed with excitement. I ran up to Mike to give him five and that's when it happened. My left calf seized up with cramps. Before I could even finish giving five, I collapsed to the ground in agony. "Oh my God!" I shouted, "mother fucker. My calves are cramping something ridiculous". I laid there for a minute while Mike and another volunteer talked to me. I had just wasted 5 minutes, I needed to go. 

I forced my body off the ground and began hobbling up the trail. Not exactly how I envisioned the start to my final loop. My right calf was in excruciating pain. My left was not much better. I walked for a few minutes and then began to jog. I would jog for a few hundred feet and then my calves would start to cramp up, forcing me to walk again. My energy was great, just couldn't run long because of the cramps. This was extremely frustrating. I wanted to run. 

As I approached the 2 and a half mile mark of my 6th loop, nausea made an unwelcoming return. I dry heaved and choked a little. "Maybe the lack of food is taking its toll?" I began to think, "I've eaten nothing but scraps of ginger all day. I screwed up." I now accepted that there was no way I could catch up with the leader. "If it weren't for these cramps, I would've got him. I just know it.." I mumbled to myself. And quite honestly, I believe I would have. I began getting more concerned with getting caught than with doing the catching. 

I stumbled into the North Ridge AS for the 6th and final time of the night. Jamil starting spraying me down with a water mister while my bottle was being filled. "These cramps are killing my time. Do you have any advice?" I asked him. "Umm well, you guys probably do a lot of crazy long climbs out in Tucson. This is a lot up and down stuff. Maybe you're just not used to it?" He replied. "Yeah, I haven't done very many long runs lately, either" I said in a laugh peppered with desperation. I grabbed my trusty handheld and limped off, back into the darkness. 

The cramps had spread, my body was feeling like it was gonna seize up. I kept up my formula of running until the cramps were about to attack then slow to a walk. I started looking behind me, I felt like someone was going to catch me. "Wouldn't that be wonderful" I thought, "someone pass me at the end of the final loop to steal 2nd place.." I wanted to get this thing over with but the last couple miles seemed like an eternity.

"God damn cramps!" I shouted into the air, "you are killing my time!" I just wanted to see the lights coming from ultracity, then I knew I would be home free. I hiked up one last hill, it felt like Mount Everest. My leg were buckling. "There it is!" I shrieked. I saw the lights, I was close. I kept on truckin'. As I came within a quarter mile to the finish, I heard something behind me. I looked back, "oh shit, here comes the 3rd place guy!" 

I started running, knowing that I could go very far before the cramps would force me to walk. Or collapse to the ground in pain and defeat. "This is exactly what I feared for the last hour" I sadly thought, "this just can't be happening." I couldn't run very fast but I was now running. Running or not, before I knew it he was right behind me. I turned and looked at him, "are you finishing?" I asked while already knowing his answer. "Yes" he replied while running beside me. 

We were now in the final stretch to the finish line. As soon as he answered my senseless question, it felt like God came down from heaven and handed me a pair of wings! I began to sprint. The cramps vanished and were replaced with adrenaline. We ran side by side for a bit, then I took the lead. I shot though the finish line ahead of him, holding onto to 2nd place by the hair on my chinny chin chin! 

I stood there in a daze of disbelief. A photo finish to a 39 mile race. Mike came up and congratulated me and so did the runner that I just battled with. And wouldn't you know it, young Cristian walked up to me, put out his hand and said "good job". The sportsmanship in ultras warms my heart. After catching my breath, I walked over to talk to the guy that almost stole 2nd place from me. "I'm sorry, my pride wouldn't let me lose 2nd place. Not tonight." I explained to him. "No worries, man. Good job!"  He answered with enthusiasm. We chatted it up for a few minutes. His name is Andrew Heard. He is a very respectable ultrarunner with plenty of races under his belt. It was nice meeting you, Andrew!

Mike and I sat there, in the middle of the night, watching others finish or continue on. We talked about how awesome ultras are and how great a job those Coury brothers do putting on races. We talked about the spectators that stay through the night waiting for their loved one to finish, how they are just as committed as the runners themselves. I simply love to be a part of this wonderful sport, can't imagine my life without it.

Beyond exhausted we decided that it was time to depart. Mike thankfully had some friends in the Phoenix area willing to leave a door open for us. During our delirious drive to their house I noticed Mike become distracted while shifting gears. We had noticeably slowed down. "Is your car okay" I asked him. "I don't think so.." His voice sounded shaky. We rolled to the side of the freeway. His car was done. And so was my mind. It was 3:30 in the morning, we had been up all night running and now our transportation was out of commission. I was too tired to panic. 

Without getting into all the details of how I (we) made it home, I just want to say how fortunate we both are. It was made clear, we both have people in our lives willing to help us when in need. Eventually, I made it back to Tucson, concluding yet another adventure in ultrarunning. These experiences, car trouble and all, are the chapters in my amazing life that I will never forget. 

(details to follow)























2 comments:

  1. Hey Sion! Great to meet you as well. Awesome race and report. I have to agree! The sportsmanship and camaraderie are what hooked me on this sport even more than running in awesome places. Good luck with Javelina training! You should do very well there with your speed. See ya' on the trails! Andrew Heard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Andrew! That was a wild finish, wasn't it! Lookin' forward to seeing you on the trails again.

    ReplyDelete