Friday, July 19, 2013

Run With The Roosters

99 days. 99 days came and 99 days went without me participating in a race following my twisted decision to race Crown King on a broken foot. 99 sunrises and 99 sunsets. 99 sleepless nights. 99 problems. You get the idea. 99. For a race junkie like myself, that's a long time. Too long. Fortunately, I ended that streak before it hit tripled digits.

Once I allowed myself the rest to heal up, I made a decision that my first race back would be Everyone Runs 'Run With The Roosters' race in July. I felt like that would be sufficient time to gain some leg speed back, plus having raced RWTR the last 3 years, I'm quite familiar with it. 'Run With The Roosters' begins outside of Old Tucson Studios and heads onto Kinney Road. It's five miles of rolling hills that are deceivingly difficult. It's very important to stay conservative in the beginning, because those hills dish out some damage in the latter stages of the race. 

Since my return from injury, I have been pretty obsessed with trails. I haven't been incorporating very many "tempo" runs into my training. My goal, ultimately, is to be an ultra runner and focus specifically on ultras. So as the days went by and it drew closer to race day, I began getting very nervous. I went back and forth on whether I was going to actually do the race. But I had made the commitment, so I was determined to follow through.

My stress level and self doubt reached a boiling point the week before the race. "I would be better off racing a 50k than this 5 miler.." I explained to Kristi, "I haven't done any tempo runs, I'm going to fall apart out there." I kept going, "around mile 3 it's going to get ugly. I know I'm going to blow up." It's bizarre that in all honesty, I would have been far more confident racing a 50k than a 5 miler. But it's true. 

Kristi had also gone back and forth on whether she wanted to participate in the race, but the day prior she made the decision to do it. So I headed off to Fleet Feet and came home with 2 race bibs. I was excited that Kristi was doing the race also and I was able to relax a little in regards to how I felt I would do. I figured what the hell, if she is willing to go completely out of her comfort zone and run in a race, the least I could do is limit the amount of bitching I express about what I'm most comfortable doing. Makes sense, right? 

'Run with the Roosters' starts really early, hence the reference of "rooster" in the title. So Kristi and I were up at a little after 1am getting ready to go. We probably could have slept later but both of us weren't feeling all that great and sleep was already hard to come by. After choking down some oatmeal we headed off to Old Tucson to go "Run with the Roosters!" 

We arrived at about 4 in the morning and got ourselves prepared. We were both feeling pretty awful, so I tried to keep us motivated. "We will feel so good once it's over" I explained to Kristi, followed by, "mile 3 is going to ruin me, I'm just certain of it.." I know how to motivate! I ran a little warm up mile, my feet felt like they had bricks attached to them. The air was thick with humidity, I felt like I was going to vomit. I took a deep breath and walked over to the starting line. "This is going to be ugly" I thought to myself.

After wishing Kristi luck, I went to the front of the crowd. I looked around at the other runners up in the front, "damn, these kids look quick" I thought. I saw at least 10 guys that looked fully capable of dishing out a good ole fashioned beat down. During the singing of the National Anthem I went over my race strategy in my head, "don't go out too fast...don't go out too fast..don't go out to fast.." 

The race director and genuine friend of mine, Steve Landau announced that it was time for the countdown; 5-4-3-2-1 Bring the action! A group of about 8 of us all went out in a lead pack. One guy immediately separated himself and took the first position. I thought "there is not a snowballs chance in hell that I try to catch him, I will just be smart and stay in this pack." I looked down at my Garmin; 5:10 pace... "For the love of God, slow the hell down!" I reprimanded myself. 

After I eased up on the gas a bit, I found myself sitting in 6th place. I could see that there was no way I was going to catch up with the leader, he was way out in front. The guy in 2nd place had also made good separation, unless he completely fell apart, chances were slim that I could catch him. I could see the 3rd place runner, he was in a distance reasonable to catch up with. I thought, "if I run smart, I may be able to steal 3rd place."

Around the 1.5 mile mark I made my move on the 5th place runner. I was holding on to about a 6 minute pace and felt pretty good. I was able to pass him and begin focusing on 4th place. I could see he was already struggling. I pushed on the gas and moved in front of him. Now it was time to take down number 3. 

As I put a little distance between me and the runner I had just passed, I was struck with nausea. I just passed the mile 2 mark and felt like I was going to bonk. "This wasn't supposed to happen until mile 3?" I thought to myself. I tasted sickness brewing. I looked at my Garmin, I had slowed to a 6:30 pace. I took a deep breath and focused on turning my legs over. I began creeping up on 3rd place, he was now within striking distance. "Quit being a baby. Go get this guy!" I told myself. I got a second wind and hammered past him. "Good job, man!" He shouted at me as I showed him the back of my shirt. "You too.." I carefully mumbled,  trying not to spill out the contents of my stomach. 

The next mile of this race is the toughest, It's a steady climb to the turn around. I was surprised at how good I felt as I past the mile 3 mark. I had picked my pace back up to 6:20 and felt stronger than I had all day. I grabbed a cup of water at the aid station and dumped it on my head as I made the turn to head back. I had put a good amount of distance on the guy behind me and was sitting very comfortably in 3rd place. 

The final stretch back to Old Tucson is particularly entertaining. Because this race is an out and back (with a short segment that takes you off the main road) you get to see all of the runners that are behind you. It gives you a boost. With shouts of encouragement coming from so many of my friends, I was completely invigorated. I had picked my pace back up to 6:15 and felt energized. I could see that I now began gaining on the 2nd place runner.

With less than a mile to go, I knew I wasn't going to catch up to the runner ahead of me. I just wanted to cut his lead down as much as I possible could. I kept chipping away and I continued to get closer. The sound of the finish line celebration as I closed in was music to my ears. It continued to get louder and my heart was pumping adrenaline. I was running smooth and fast. My body felt light as air. I took a right into Old Tucson and shot through the finish line. This is my favorite feeling on earth! 

I finished the race in 31:13, 16 seconds behind 2nd place. This wasn't my fastest time on this course, but it felt like it was my best race. I was extremely pleased with the outcome, can't wait to do it again. There are so many elements to running and racing. I continue to learn more about myself through this beautiful sport. The happiness it gives me is simply priceless. 

After catching my breath for a few minutes, I headed back onto the course to go find Kristi. When I finally reached her, she was running as hard as she could. I am so proud of her! I ran, jogged, walked and talked to her until she crossed the finish line. The least I could do to is pass this beautiful gift on. Who knows, maybe it will change her life too? 

Everyone Runs really knows how to put on finish line festivities! Fully equipped with a slip and slide, free breakfast, snow cones, coffee, smoothies and more, Mr. Landau raises the bar when it comes to putting on first class events. Bravo!

Time to add another Rooster Trophy to my collection!

Bring The Action

Rakin' it in


Rooster Red Carpet











1 comment:

  1. Great story, happy you went back for Kristi to encourage her... and what a cool trophy!

    ReplyDelete